Wednesday, April 13, 2011

3rd post: Walking along the Rocky Mountains

Oceans, rivers, lakes and streams
Have all been touched by man
The poison floating out to sea
Now threatens life on land
Don’t go near the water
Ain’t it sad
What’s happened to the water

It’s going bad
“Don’t Go Near the Water” – The Beach Boys


Along with my lived ethics project in which I am learning the ethic of the land, I am also committing myself to individual exploration of the land. On my two-hour walk along the Rocky Mountains, I've noticed the destructive behavior of man.
Strolling through Monument Valley Park, you see various things. People, trees, pavement, gravel, grass. However, on my walk I noticed even more as I examined everything in sight. I noticed that most of the trees had been affected by man in one way or another, the grass drier in certain patches, and trash stuck below twigs and branches of sorts throughout the forest. After taking a second look at the pristine parks and recreational public areas we've created for ourselves, it reminded a lot about  While on my walk, I noticed all the trees and unfortunate state of the parks.



Here's a picture of a polluted park.

It's really sad that there is so much trash and pollution in the United states. Other countries seem to have a more peace and ease with the treatment of their environment, but for some reason Americans don't know how to appreciate the land from which they are from. Perhaps it's because time and development are moving so fast that there is no opportunity to even consider the history and ethic of the land.
Additionally, once one person litters, everybody thinks it's okay to do the same. Throwing trash is never okay, and there's never a good excuse. It's interesting how people may throw trash out of anger or 
Everyone has their fair share in littering, we've all done it at some point or another. But the actual effects it has on the planet are heartbreaking.

However, not only are our parks polluted, but also our oceans. In the northern Pacific Plastic Ocean, there is a subtropical gyre that is created by a high-pressure system of air currents. Along with the tiny phytoplankton that live there, the gyre is filled with millions of pounds of trash, most of it plastic. Being twice the size of Texas, it's the largest landfill in the world and floats in the middle of the ocean. 




Great Pacific Garbage Patch
Jellyfish tangled in trash.
The Great Pacific Garbage Patch, located somewhere between San Francisco and Hawaii


Trash is an international dilemma. As I realize that there is trash locally, as well as in the middle of the Pacific, there is a huge task at hand and an even bigger question: who's responsible?
As countries leave the trash floating in the ocean, is it up to environmental organizations and people that care, to clean it up? All people that are human should care. 

2 comments:

  1. It's so disappointing to see people trash public places. I'm curious as to what countries you've been to that have significantly less trash and pollution. I do agree with you, though. It is disappointing, even at our school sometimes. I see beer cans, cigarettes, and all sorts of trash scattered around campus on Saturday mornings. I wonder if awareness is enough sometimes. I know people here that refuse to recycle because of convenience and simply say "I don't care."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trash is something I am utterly fascinated by. Yes, it is incredibly disappointing to see trash lying about, but I can't help but wonder that if it were to be placed into a garbage pale, would it really be any better? The same trash would end up buried underground. Not to be a complete pessimist, but it seems that there are very few current solutions as to where to put our trash anymore, other than to stop consuming certain things. I also am really interested in which countries you have been to with less trash spread about.
    But I do agree that, certain countries, have a much different outlook on the environment than Americans do. For example, many Asian cultures, particularly Buddhist - as well as other Eastern mysticisism-influenced cultures - seems to have a more spiritual connection with the environment. For many Americans, it is simply something which we inhabit.
    You should really look into "The Story of Stuff." Annie Leonard does a lot of work with consumerism and the environment, and how the standard American's need to buy and shop and obtain is harming the environment.

    ReplyDelete