Monday, April 18, 2011

4th Post: preservation of Mother Nature

Back in 1910, President Theodore Roosevelt stressed the importance of treating our natural resources well. He said that we must pass them on to the next generation improved -- not impaired.


On my walk this past Sunday afternoon, I realized how much this environmental ethics has affected me. Although most of the environmental problems cannot be solved, I have faith in humanity that eventually we can all get it right and work together to solve the problems of the world. As I realize now the current state of affairs, the world is disastrous and beginning its slow death. If we don't try to stop it, things will get very complicated for future generations.


Therefore, I've decided to take a career path in either environmental design or environmental engineering. I find myself extremely passionate about the environment, but the problem is what to do about all the problems we have caused.


Environmental engineers work toward that goal. They help cities and construction companies find ways to build that don’t damage the environment. They help to clean up environmental problems from the past. They work with factories so they pollute less. Environmental engineers do their part to make sure that the earth will be in good condition for those who live here tomorrow.


Not only that, but the fact that green jobs are careers of the future is also a bonus. While I was originally interested in environmental policy, I'm beginning to believe that environmental engineers are the actors of the policies made. As many problems continue to arise, the career paths we take must be relevant to our future that was once promising, and is now a threat. Eventually, people in office will understand the urgency of nature's cries and will be forced to change our destructive ways.


Because actions speak louder than words, I find myself extremely inspired by my lived ethics project and all it took was walking outside, admiring the scenery. It also provided me with an unexpected passion to save Mother Nature.


 I think i'll take Teddy up on that..





1 comment:

  1. Sarah,
    I really enjoyed your last post. Brief, to the point. I agree, i could not have said it better myself. We can talk all we want in class, amongst ourselves, even during our breaks in class but i feel as though i comes down to that moment when you are alone have the choice between to exert more effort and do the better thing or simply categorize it as, "a small net impact". When it comes down to it it is you verse you. I feel that why these projects have been so helpful. They are most reflective in nature. I like the shots at the end of the blog. Adds a little more meaning to the words.
    Hish

    ReplyDelete