Wednesday, April 6, 2011

“Experiment in the Living”


“Nature’s darkness goes partly unreported, of course, and human brilliance is often perversely ignored. What is true is that man has power, literally beyond his comprehension, to destroy.” –Barry Lopez, “The American Geographies”

In order to bring my actions in closer alignment with my environmental values, an alteration of my lifestyle will take place and will be progressed here. Adjusting my present-day habits and patterns of behavior will also be reflected upon and learned from. Because I already possess fair personal habits of conserving energy and rarely consuming meat, for my project I plan to take a step in a different direction and rather observe and engage with the environment. In this personal practice I hope to gain more knowledge about my surroundings, analyze what is morally acceptable, and grow to develop solid habits in hopes that others will do the same.
In “The American Geographies”, an article by Barry Lopez, I learned of the importance in actually taking the time out to reflect on one’s own relationship with the environment, especially the geography of the land. By fiercely defending nature and all it’s beauty, Lopez embarks on a journey through America that leads him to have more respect and admiration for the land.
This article sparked inspiration in me to do the same. However, since I cannot travel the country, I will start locally in the Colorado Springs region by exploring certain fields of environmental science, beginning with the Springs’ unique geography, horticulture, ecology, and botany. After studying the Rockies, through written works as well as through personal engagement, I will set my own value system by evaluating the “ignorance of what makes them unique, by utilitarian attitudes, by failure to include them in the moral universe, and by brutal disregard.”
“Geography is knowledge that calls up something in the land we recognize and respond to. It gives us a sense of place and a sense of community.” This comfort is one that is ironically ignored by most of the population because since the discovery of the new world, “the country was defined according to dictates of Progress like Manisfest Destiny…which reflected a poor understanding of the physical lay of the land.” For this reason, my own lay of the land evaluation will reconstruct traditional morality through a process of reflection and explication.
Finally, after constructing a sort of moral righteousness, my success will be measured by whether or not my value system is one that can be easily adhered to. If others can do the same, through education and some sacrifice for the good of the Earth, then my new values will triumph over old ones. I have confidence that I will lead in the direction of a “greener” planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment